Info on things to order for the LPKF S63 PCB router.
NOTE: When ordering bits from Think and Tinker, please be SURE to select “Ringed” and let them know in the order it should be ringed for the LPKF S63.
Isolation bits (“Universal cutters”)
- These are the “V” cutters that isolate traces.
- We tried T&T cutter bits, but it didn’t work well on the LPKF. So we purchase directly through LPKF.
- Buying packs of 10 makes sense, since we do go through these.
- 0.1 mm microcutter
- Part #: 100890-4 “Milling Bit .01 - 0.15 mm (4-6 mil) w/ orange ring”
- Fine Line Tool/Micro Cutter is used for milling printed circuit board isolation tracks of 4 - 6 mils. 100% Carbide, 60 degree tip, 1.42” (36 mm) overall length. Orange Distance Rings included.
- Price: $215.00, 10 per pack
- 0.2 mm universal cutter
- Part #: 101010-4 “Milling Bit 0.2 - 0.3 mm (8-12 mil) w/ orange ring”
- Universal Milling Tool is used for milling printed circuit board isolation tracks of 8 - 12 mils. 100% Carbide, 90 degree tip, 1.42” (36 mm) overall length. Orange Distance Rings included.
- Price: $185.00, 10 per pack
Drills (“Spiral drills”)
- Get every other 0.1 mm value. Fewer parts to stock, and practically speaking, being off by 0.0039” never matters.
- Usually order packs of 5 since drills tend to last.
- Link: http://precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/drills.asp?tsPT=metric&tsPC=9
- DC208-M035-023D - 0.35 mm (for Nystrom vias, and we use that for 0.4 mm too)
- DC208-M050-036D - 0.50 mm drill
- DC208-M060-034D - 0.60 mm drill
- DC208-M070-040D - 0.70 mm drill
- DC208-M080-040D - 0.80 mm drill
- DC208-M090-040D - 0.90 mm drill
- DC208-M100-040D - 1.00 mm drill
- DC208-M110-040D - 1.10 mm drill
- DC208-M120-040D - 1.20 mm drill
- DC208-M130-040D - 1.30 mm drill
- DC208-M140-040D - 1.40 mm drill
- DC208-M150-040D - 1.50 mm drill
- DC208-M160-040D - 1.60 mm drill
- DC208-M170-040D - 1.70 mm drill
- DC208-M190-040D - 1.90 mm drill
- DC208-M180-040D - 1.80 mm drill
- DC208-M200-040D - 2.00 mm drill
Router bits (“Contour routers”)
- Bits that cut out the boards.
- Purchase these in qty 10, they might break so we want them around.
- We used to order 2.0 mm in the past, but the 1 mm are just as good and waste less copper. They may break more often, we’ll see.
- Link: http://precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/fcrouter.asp
- RCC08-0394-026F - 1mm fish-tail chip breaker
- Bits that remove wide swaths of copper.
- Purchase these in qty 5, they tend to last.
- Link: http://precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/precisebit-stub.asp
- MN208-0160-002FS - 0.4 mm stub end mill
- MN208-0313-005F - 0.8 mm stub end mill
- MN208-0394-008F - 1mm stub end mill
- MN208-0787-020F - 2mm stub end mill
- MN208-1181-022F - 3mm stub end mill (Note: not in the LPKF starter kit)
- The LPKF starter kit also has “1.0 mm (39 mil) Long End Mill” and “2.0 mm (79 mil) Long End Mill”. This is for “pocket routing”, their weird 2.5D routing thing. We can ignore these, since we’re just doing PCBs.
- The T&T cutter bits we tried using that didn’t work were the:
- EM2E8-0625-60VC - 60 degree ZrN coated 2-flute engraving bit (cuts deeper, better for some substrates/designs): recommended for “universal cutter” replacement
- EM2E8-0625-90VC - 90 degree ZrN coated 2-flute engraving bit, alternative
- Part #: 116099 “Air Permeable Material for “S” Series Vacuum Table”
- White Air Permeable backing material for the LPKF ProtoMat® “S” class machines with a vacuum table. 4 Pack.
- Price: $150.00, for 4